Friday, December 17, 2010

Tis' the Season

It's almost Christmas! The tree is up, the apartment smells of hot buttered rum and evergreen (my candles!), secret gifts are magically appearing underneath the tree, our first Christmas... and it's 70 degrees and getting warmer! I will never understand Texas.

We recently discovered that Amber has fleas. I've given her 2 baths in 2 days and she's taken it pretty well. I know we've treated her well because she trusts us when it comes to taking care of her and as I speak she is cuddled up next to me (still a bit damp). But the fleas are gone and the house was fogged so that's one less thing to worry about!

I got a more permanent job at a daycare here in town. I'm glad I tried one more time with a job during my semester at school because this one I really love. It's a work study program, so I can't work more than 15 hours a week which is great for school. I'm taking 17 credit hours next semester in order to graduate in August and working 15 hours is just about perfect. I had to leave a job from American Eagle and a Dance Academy because I couldn't work the hours they needed me to so finally, something I can multi task with comfortably.

About a year and a half ago I was writing 3 different missionaries. One was my brother Nathan in Germany, one was a good friend named Adam who served in the Honduras, and one named Matt in Las Vegas that actually ended up kind of a sticky situation. As of today, all three of them are done with their missions and I am so proud of all of them. Each of them has changed so much and Adam is already close to an engagement. Crazy. Looking back though, I changed a lot too. The years between 18 and about 21 are incredibly life-changing for most. Especially those who serve missions or decide to marry. I always had a great relationship with each of the people I wrote to, and I hope that with time, we'll be able to rekindle an old friendship. But when it comes down to it, I've learned that some friendships can't just be won back. Some friendships never come back, no matter how tight the knot was. I've had a hard time with a couple of friendships and all I can do is hope it all works out. I am so proud of each of these missionaries and I know they served with all of their heart. They deserve the world and I hope with all of my heart that they find what the Lord has in store for them.

I'm grateful for friendships, whether old, lost, or new. I'm grateful for families, and music that warms the heart. I'm grateful for joy in the home, for hope, and for the feeling of finishing something that was really difficult. One of Andy William's Christmas songs, "We Need a Little Christmas" says these lyrics: For I've grown a little lean, grown a little colder, grown a little sadder, grown a little older and I need a little angel, sitting on my shoulder; I need a little Christmas. I'm grateful for this Christmas season, for the tender feelings of my heart during this time. I hope that I can give more than I receive, and that these feelings can spread to others this Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment